On February 20, 1887 a group of women from the Women's Christian Temperance Union met to consider creating a public reading room for the community. A committee was appointed to solicit funds to finance the undertaking and by March of the following year, the constitution and by-laws were in place.
By 1906, the community's first public library was housed in the rear of a store at the corner of Main Street and Vaughn Avenue.
As the community continued to grow and the need for a permanent public library increased, a lot was purchased by a sum of money left to the village by the late Nathaniel Bartlett estate and contributions from residents of the village. In addition, Andrew Carnegie donated $10,000, which helped make the dream of having a public library a reality.
From this point on, the library witnessed an overall increase in its collection and use and eventually outgrew its space. In 1963, through the concerted efforts of the trustees and other interested citizens, Caribou was able to obtain a grant of $150,000 from the federal government to help build a much needed addition and remodel the existing building.
Selected Caribou Public Library images:
- Caribou Public Library, ca. 1912
- Interior view of Clark's Hall, Caribou, 1902
- Team of trained moose, Caribou, 1942
- Fair Grounds, Caribou, ca. 1920
- Garden Clothing Company, Sweden Street, Caribou, ca. 1890
- Old Fish Hatchery, Caribou, 1895
- Caribou Municipal Airport, 1937
- Caribou High School, 1909
- Grand Army of the Republic members, Caribou, 1898
- Caribou fire, 1890
- Log Cabin near Caribou, ca. 1895
- Potato hoeing, Caribou, ca. 1930